Friends of Whitman County Library
June 07, 2013
The June meeting was called to order by President Wanda Alderman at 11:00 AM
Donna Green, a new volunteer, joined us today. She is also new to Colfax.
Previous month’s minutes: were read by Claudia Rollins and approved as read.
Peggy Bryan reviewed our finances for us. The Endicott raffle and auction brought in $1,900.24. Report was approved as read.
1. Endicott Grand re-opening celebration. Kristie reported on the grand re-opening and showed us pictures of the occasion. The Endicott Community Club was recognized as Library Supporter of the Month for May for their support of the remodeling project. The funds generated by the raffle and auction will be used for the outside awning, signage, sink and children’s table. These items had to be cut from the remodeling budget.
2. Concrete River Festival. The photography exhibit “Our Palouse – People, Places and Possibilities” will be held in the McGregor room. Kristie needs volunteers to staff the exhibit Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
1. Correspondence. Omitted.
2. Recent bequests and memorials. Funds were received in memory of Wilma Peterson, Joyce Myers, Dorothy Skindlou and Maxine Ramey.
3. Library Supporter of the Month. May was Endicott Community Club and June will be Cougar Graphics in appreciation of their support with the recycled journals. No choice has been made for July.
4. CCS Community Enrichment summer and fall classes. Attendance is going well. Summer events have been one day classes. The college seems happy with the attendance levels. The chamber music event was cancelled. Fall will have multi-session classes offered. Ideas and suggestions for new classes are being taken.
5. TLA 50 update from Clancy. This adult program is grant funded from LSTA Adults in Transition through the Washington State Library and available in all locations. The target audience is 50 to 65 years old. Topics have included easier gardening, and cooking. This grant will not be renewed. If the programs are to continue, the library or the Friends will need to fund them.
6. Branch update. Chelsea Leachman has resigned and that leaves a vacancy at Uniontown. Her substitute has expressed interest in the position.
7. Lacrosse may be moving next week. The carpet and linoleum are now in.
8. Youth Services. All branches are ready for summer reading. Play group will continue through June; baby time will continue all summer. With the departure of Chelsea, Teen Advisor, all teens are invited to all programs. The teen program is presently undergoing some changes.
9. Calendar of Events. Kristie pointed out a few events: The Banner Artist reception will be Thursday, June 6 at 7 pm; children’s dance classes will begin Wednesday, June 12; cooking classes are June 12 and 26, and other events too numerous to mention. Everyone is invited. See attached calendar.
10.Other business. None
11. CEC update and building tour. Kristie presented the present proposed plans for the CEC building. It will be a multi-functional area. The next goal is to obtain funding.
Next meeting will be July 2, at 11 AM.
Meeting was adjourned at 11:40 AM.
Respectfully submitted, Claudia Rollins
Sue Hallett Clancy Pool Cheryl Jones Wanda Alderman Becky Lawhead Polly Anderson Velma Ulrich Patti Cammack Donna Green Peggy Bryan Claudia Rollins
For more information, contact:
Kristie Kirkpatrick at 509-397-4366
For a complete list of events and programs happening in all fourteen Whitman County Library branches, visit the Whitman County Library website or the library's events calendar or call the library at 397-4366 or 877-733-3375 toll-free.