Friends of Whitman County Library
January 08, 2013
The January meeting was called to order by President Wanda Alderman at 11:00 AM.
Wanda introduced our guest: WCL Friend Teri Kneale.
Previous monthís minutes were approved as read by Claudia Rollins.
Treasurerís report: Peggy led us through our current financial statement. It was approved as read.
1. Endicott branch report. Renovations finally started on January 3, 2013 with anticipated completion in three months. Library services are presently provided out of the City Hall.
2. LaCrosse branch report. Peggy reported that the carpeting is scheduled to be installed by the end of January. The grocery store should be opening this week. Kristie suggested that the FOL send a plant when the store holds its grand re-opening. It was moved, seconded and passed.
3. Lamont branch. The vote for annexation to the WCL passed by 97%. FOL covered the costs of printing and mailing postcards to all Lamont voters in support of the annexation. Services have started with issuance of library cards. When the branch is complete, services will begin with one day per week. There will be summer reading. At present, there is no librarian so it is possible that Clancy Poole will cover this vacancy until other arrangements are made. Although Avista does not serve Lamont, they have contributed $1,000.
1. Correspondence to or from FOL: a. The FOL received a thank you card signed by the Colfax staff for their Christmas gift certificates. b. We also passed a card to wish Cindy Hall well in her new job. c. Claudia was thanked for Reading Bearís new Christmas outfit. Rumor has it that Reading Bearís closet is full. d. Kristie also brought to our attention her portion of the article in the Daily News regarding the future of libraries on the Palouse.
2. With the renewal of FOL memberships, we have received memorials for Buster Andrus, Ogden Eriksen, Paul Whitlock, Jack and Ginny Pittman, Alice E. Hansen and Helen M. Moore. Kristie asked permission to place an ad in the Gazette listing memorials for all FOL members in the last year. It was moved, seconded and passed.
3. Sue Hallett reported to us on the adventures of online selling of used library materials. Kristie reported on the selling of the used book journals and asked for volunteers to help dissect old books.
4. With Cindyís departure, her duties in relation to the FOL were discussed. Claudia will now send out the monthly email reminders of the meeting. Wanda will be in charge of the agenda and Sue agreed to do set-up, make coffee and other tasks.
5. Library Supporter of the Month: This month we will recognize two people. Robin Weatherly of the Uniontown mini-mart, and Marcy Campbell of Rosalia. She is a childrenís author and helps at the Rosalia branch.
6. The annual FOL membership renewal drive was discussed. Claudia suggested the idea of Junior Friends of the Library as a way to get children and younger people involved in the fund raising and support of the library.
7. Branch updates: Malden temporarily has longer hours because of a grant. This grant will expire at the end of January and the hours of service will be reduced.
8. Youth Services: TAB (Teen Advisory Board) program. Two members will receive scholarships of $200 each at graduation. All other members will receive $25 each. Sheri asked for funds to cover these expenses. It was moved, seconded and passed to allow not more than $600 for this purpose.
9. Calendar of Events: 1/9 an e-reader class, 3-5:30P; 2/4 through 2/15 WCL will host an art exhibit of 100 high school students from across Whitman County; 2/4 will be a community reception for the exhibitors in conjunction with the Colfax Arts Council monthly meeting between 5:30 and 7P. Latin fitness is back in swing with obvious results.
10. Other: no further discussion
The next Friendsí business meeting will be February 12, 2013 at 11 AM. Meeting was adjourned at 11:55 AM.
Respectfully submitted, Claudia Rollins
Attendance: Polly Anderson Wanda Alderman Sue Hallett Sheri Miller Claudia Rollins Kristie Kirkpatrick Peggy Bryan Teri Kneale Mary Ann Mitchell
February 12, 2013 corrected
For more information, contact:
Kristie Kirkpatrick at 509-397-4366
For a complete list of events and programs happening in all fourteen Whitman County Library branches, visit the Whitman County Library website or the library's events calendar or call the library at 397-4366 or 877-733-3375 toll-free.