Whitman County Library
- To be the community’s #1 resource for information, recreation, and discovery
- To be the heart of the community; an information and social commons.
- Focus on popular materials that are timely, in high-demand and come in a variety of formats.
- Centers for lifelong learning, supporting programs and materials that enable our customers to learn and grow throughout their lifetimes.
- Access point to information and community referral.
Marketing and promotional strategies and activities:
- WCL Marketing Coordinator oversees system-wide marketing plan. Submits monthly columns to newspapers, assist staff with all library promotions and news releases, posters, fliers, etc. Looks for opportunities to market the library at every level including statewide, regional and national. Seeks funding or opportunity for paid advertising whenever possible through the Library Friends, Foundation, grants and cooperative efforts. Responsible for staff training in marketing and promotion.
- A newsletter will be mailed to every household in the WCL district highlighting programs, services, staff, Friends and Foundation.
- At every opportunity, utilize the website, Facebook, Twitter, blogs and online mailings as a marketing tool.
- All 14 branch locations are required to post to Facebook at least once each time they are open, and also encouraged to archive posts for after hour or future postings.
- Each year, the library director will visit each of our 14 branch communities and Lamont to attend city council meetings, community club presentations, visit with business leaders, community events or other local efforts. Whenever possible, publicity will center on the visit, using the opportunity to promote library programs and services.
- The Library Board of Trustees will hold its monthly meeting outside of the Main Branch (Colfax) a minimum of 4 times per year, with publicity accompanying the meeting location and local officials being invited.
- Library staff will visit each school district with the following programming. For secondary grades online research and library resources, book talks, summer reading promotion, cultural and educational programs, special guests and more. For primary grades online research, Reading bear, book-talks, TV-Free Challenge, summer reading promotion, special guests, cultural and educational programming and more.
- System-wide and local promotion of Summer Reading promotion, programming and incentives to all ages, baby through seniors.
- Regularly train staff, Board members, and Friends of the Library on successful promotion and marketing through in-house and outside training opportunities.
- Branch managers required to promote their programs, services and locations in at least one press release to multiple sources a minimum of once per month. Contacts should include newspapers, radio stations, school, town, church or other newsletters, water bills, town website, etc.
- Whenever possible, WCL purchases advertising in each town’s community calendar to list library phone numbers and other pertinent contact information.
- Department heads encouraged to promote their programs and services via press releases, posters, fliers, invitations, and other means
- All staff and locations encouraged to participate and help with community events, groups, Fairs, etc.
- Encourage programs and speaking engagements that outline library products and services. These include book-talks, library presentations, and website and research programs to the community.
- Collaborate with area schools for programs targeting teachers and students.
- Compile lists of donors and circulate these wherever possible as related to the library, the Friends and the Foundation.
- Assist with and utilize the Friends of WCL and WCL Foundation in all promotional opportunities.
- Reader boards, Posters on public bulletin boards and take home fliers will be used for library promotion.
- Send thank you notes whenever any item, service or money is donated in all WCL locations.
- Actively participate in events at a state and national themes, marketing campaigns, and events. Relate information back to the local community through news releases, etc.
- Advocate with politicians at all levels for the benefit of the library and our customers. Frequently invite politicians and dignitaries to the library to educate them about WCL. Utilize these events as promotional opportunities.
- Always stress the library’s hardworking and frugal operation. Focus upon the ongoing need for donations and financial support of programs and services
- Regularly survey target audiences as a tool for assessing needs and customer satisfaction while educating the public about our programs and services.
- Whenever possible, outreach efforts will take place in the Library van, with the logo serving as advertising.
- Whenever possible, Whitman County Library’s mascots, The Reading Bear and Book Bear will be a part of promotional events, parades, school visits, etc.
- Build strong relations with media and those who educate the community about our programs, events and services. Whenever possible express appreciation toward the value of their library coverage and thank them regularly for the fine community service they perform.
Specific Marketing Goals:
- Every student in the Whitman County Library District will possess a library card and use it regularly.
- Awareness of and attendance at library programs will increase each year.
- Awareness and use of WCL’s public meeting facilities will rise.
- Donations to the Whitman County Library, Friends of Whitman County Library, and WCL Foundation will increase each year.
- WCL will increase library support and awareness for our library at all levels through our marketing strategies. Results will be measured through positive election results, contributions to the Library, Friends, Foundation, number of library cards issued and used, and library use statistics.
- Whether a library user or not, every citizen within the Whitman County Rural Library District will love WCL, they will understand the services we provide and they will support the library through the means listed above.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Kristie Kirkpatrick, Director, email
Whitman County Library
102 S Main Street
Colfax, Washington 99111
509 397-4366 or toll-free 1-877-733-3375